Thnx for Visiting!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty


Lee Alexander McQueen: British designer and couturier was known for his in-depth tailoring, the way he combined strength with fragility in his collections and for the power and raw energy in his shows. McQueen worked as chief designer at Givenchy from 1996-2001 as well as founding his own label Alexander McQueen. McQueen earned four British Designer of the Year awards as well as CFDA's International Designer of the Year award in 2003.

Alexander McQueen  was found dead in his London home on February 11, 2010. This was only days before London Fashion Week and 9 days after his mothers death. The note he left behind read, "Look after my dogs, sorry, I love you, Lee." This sad news devastated so many people and was a great lost to the fashion industry. There will never be another McQueen. His work and energy can not be replicated or compared to any other designer.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City is paying homage to McQueen with an incredible exhibit showcasing his true works of art. The exhibit, "Savage Beauty," shows a timeline of McQueen's work...from his graduating collection to his last collection shown before his death "Plato's Atlantis." We stood in line for an hr and a half to see the exhibit, and it was very very crowded, but oh so worth it. It was also sad knowing that this talented individual is no longer with us. I've posted a collection of pictures of pieces that were in the exhibit. The video at the end is a walk through of the exhibit...Hope you guys enjoy...and for my fellow artists and designers..I hope you get as inspired as I did.

From his Spring/Summer 2010 Collection "Plato's Atlantis"
The museum was selling a mini replica of the infamous "Armadillo" shoe shown above.And of course I had to have one! These were seen in his "Plato's Atlantis" Collection. They caused a lot of controversy because they were thought to be a hazard for the models to walk in. Some models dropped out the show because they refused to walk in these shoes that measured 12"tall. Ummm, I'd be a little afraid too! I also picked up a copy of the catalog book "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty." The book has over 200 pages of Pictures, designs, interviews, facts, quotations etc!
My Very Own mini "Armadillo" Shoe!

"I find beauty in the grotesque, like most artist. I have to force people to look at things." Alexander McQueen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For visiting! I hope you have been Inspired & I'd love to hear from you...<3